Founded in 1845, Wittenberg is a nationally ranked, private, liberal arts college related to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and has an enrollment of about 2,000 students. Wittenberg enjoys a national reputation for excellent academic standards and is widely known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Wittenberg has an exceptional staff and award-winning faculty who share a commitment to undergraduate teaching, research, and development of students into successful global citizens. Situated on 100 acres of rolling hills in Springfield Ohio, Wittenberg is easily accessible from Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati.
Wittenberg is a NCAA Division III institution participating in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and offers a broad-based intercollegiate athletics program with 24 varsity teams - 12 for men and 12 for women - and numerous club and intramural opportunities. Annually, Wittenberg places among the top four in the North Coast Athletic Conference All-sports standings.
The Department of Athletics at Wittenberg University is seeking candidates for an Assistant Athletic Director of Facilities & Events. This is a 12-month appointment that will include night and weekend work. Preference will be given to applicants who possess exceptional organizational skills and have a clear understanding of the functional areas of a Division III athletic department.
Primary duties include but are not limited to:
- Manage the operation, scheduling, and maintenance of Wittenberg's athletic facilities: HPER Center (including Pam Evans Smith Arena, Rosencrans Fitness Center, Natatorium, and the Heinzen Strength Center), 1929 Fieldhouse, Edwards-Maurer Field, Bill Edwards Field, Betty Doughman Dillahunt Softball Field, and Carleton Davidson Stadium.
- Hire, train, manage, and schedule all student employees working in the facilities and at events.
- Review and approve monthly time cards and contracts for student employees.
- Train and direct student managers in facilities and game management.
- Direct and oversee staff and student workers involved with game and event management, ticketing, and concessions.
- Oversee the cleaning and maintenance schedule for the facilities in conjunctions with WFF and Wittenberg's Physical Plant staff.
- Conduct weekly facility and game management meetings with appropriate staff.
- Coordinate and schedule the use of athletic facilities with coaches, external rentals, HFS, Central Scheduling, Physical Plant, Union board, and Housekeeping using the 25 Live scheduling system.
- Submit and monitor work orders to Physical Plant.
- Oversee delivery and installation of building fixtures and equipment.
- Coordinate vendor/contractor services relative to facility operations in collaboration with the Director of Athletics & Recreation.
- Manage inventory of facility equipment and maintain related records.
- Work collaboratively with the Equipment Room Manager, Director of Aquatics, and Director of Intramural Sports to provide service, support and programming for the athletic department and University community.
- Maintain and update the emergency preparedness plan for facilities and all related procedures in cooperation with the University.
- Interface with clients in coordinating outside events and summer camps.
- Market, collect, and deposit all alumni, community, and staff membership fees.
- Decorate and brand the facilities as needed for events, seasons of the year, and special occasions.
- Report all necessary facility upkeep and maintenance needs to Physical Plant and Housekeeping.
- Assist with concession stand operations.
- Attend weekly COE meetings.
- Serve on graduation committee and other University committees as applicable.
- Adhere to all department policies, procedures, and expectations while supporting the mission and values of Wittenberg University and the athletic department.
- Participate in special projects as assigned by the Director of Athletics & Recreation.
A bachelor's degree is required; master's degree is preferred. Additionally, we require 2 to 5 years of progressive administrative or facility management experience in athletics and/or a higher education setting. We are seeking applicants with a demonstrated commitment to the philosophy of a Division III athletic department.
Travel is required as well as some evening and weekend work.
Wittenberg is committed to attracting and retaining highly qualified individuals who collectively reflect the diversity of our student body and society at-large. We believe it is educationally imperative to further our students' appreciation and understanding of a culturally diverse society, and we are committed to ensuring a diverse environment for all individuals, regardless of race, gender, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability, or disability. In that spirit, we are especially interested in receiving applications from individuals who would contribute to the diversity of our community.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
We ask candidates to set-up an account and make application through our online system. To apply, please upload the following documents in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat format.
2. Cover letter
3. Name, address, and phone number of three professional references.
If you are a person with a disability and require assistance with the application process, please contact Wittenberg's Human Resources Department at 937.327.7517.