Founded in 1845, Wittenberg is a nationally ranked, private, liberal arts college related to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and has an enrollment of about 2,000 students. Wittenberg enjoys a national reputation for excellent academic standards and is widely known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Wittenberg has an exceptional staff and award-winning faculty who share a commitment to undergraduate teaching, research, and development of students into successful global citizens. Situated on 100 acres of rolling hills in Springfield Ohio, Wittenberg is easily accessible from Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati.
Wittenberg University is seeking applications for a Director of Human Resources.
The Director leads the human resources function for the University, serving as a strategic partner and advisor to University leadership on all human resources issues. The Director is a key member of the Vice President for Finance & Administration's (VPFA) staff responsible for areas including personnel policies and procedures, employee relations, compensation and benefits, HRIS, performance management, training and development, unemployment, worker's compensation, and Title IX. The Director will establish and implement Human Resources efforts that effectively communicate and support the vision, mission and priorities of the University. The Director will assure compliance with laws and regulations pertaining to personnel administration.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Organizational Planning: Participate in organizational planning with VPFA to set HR initiatives, strategic direction and operational plans. Provide innovative ideas and suggestions for process, departmental, and organizational improvements.
- Leadership: Provide strategic leadership to Human Resources staff and senior administration. Develop effective working relationships with all constituents, whether on campus, in the Springfield community, or with relevant professional organizations.
- General HR Administration and Management: Direct and execute day-to-day management of HR operational functions. Plan, administer, and direct comprehensive Human Resources programs which include training & development, performance management, recruitment and employment, personnel records, HRIS, compensation & benefits, employee and labor relations, compliance with federal and state employment laws (such as FLSA, Title IX, ADA and FMLA), and rules and regulations of other governing or accrediting bodies (such as Higher Learning Commission, NCAA, etc.).
- Employee Relations: Serve as the main resource for interpretation and consistent application of personnel policies.
- Training and Development: Partner with senior leadership on learning and development initiatives.
- Other functions: This position description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. The Director may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the University President or VPFA.
A bachelor's degree in human resources, organizational development, business administration or similar area of study is required; a master's degree is preferred. Certification as a Professional in Human Resources (PHR), Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), CEBS, or other benefit related certifications is preferred. We require 5 years of human resources experience in a management role and experience in employee relations, benefits administration, compensation management, HRIS, policy development, and employee selection and recruitment. Experience in higher education Human Resources is preferred.
Additionally, we are looking for applicants with the following characteristics:
- Commitment to personal integrity, ethical management, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Proficiency with HR information systems (Datatel preferred), web technology, and Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to manage and analyze data for record keeping, assessment, and strategic planning.
- Ability to develop solid collaborative relationship with a diverse group of campus constituents.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to include preparation and delivery of reports, programs, and information to employee groups, management teams and possibly to outside organizations.
- Team minded, fair and considerate.
Wittenberg believes that a diversified community is educationally imperative; thus, we are committed to ensuring a diverse environment for all individuals regardless of race, gender, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability or disability. In that spirit, we are especially interested in receiving applications from individuals who would contribute to the diversity of our community.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
To apply, please set-up an account in our online recruiting system and upload the following documents in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat format.
2. Cover letter
3. Name, address, and phone number of three professional references.
If you are a person with a disability and require assistance with the application process, please contact Wittenberg's Human Resources Department at 937.327.7517.