Founded in 1845, Wittenberg is a nationally ranked, private, liberal arts college related to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and has an enrollment of about 2,000 students. Wittenberg enjoys a national reputation for excellent academic standards and is widely known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Wittenberg has an exceptional staff and award-winning faculty who share a commitment to undergraduate teaching, research, and development of students into successful global citizens. Situated on 100 acres of rolling hills in Springfield Ohio, Wittenberg is easily accessible from Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati.
Applications are being solicited for a full-time Police Dispatcher/Switchboard Operator. Job responsibilities include the following:
- Serve as primary dispatch for Wittenberg Police Division. Answer emergency and non-emergency calls, gather information and dispatch officers. Provide communications backup to Police & Security officers. Respond to requests from officers for residence and vehicle registration verification. Observe proper radio procedures and dispatch protocol. Maintain police/security dispatch logs via computer aided dispatch, following established procedures.
- Serve as operator to the main campus switchboard. Answer incoming calls and forward to proper department or provide information as needed.
- Serve as a liaison for Student Development personnel regarding student safety issues and after-hours maintenance issues. Request service for after-hours housekeeping and physical plant emergencies as needed. Log pages and out-going telephone calls.
- Monitor energy management system; dispatch officers, respond to alarms and request service as needed.
- Provide counter service, including but not limited to, providing information, fax service, FedEx/UPS shipping, and assisting with vehicle registration.
- Maintain, revise and update message board and other department resource materials as needed.
The Wittenberg Police Division is a 24-hour, 7 day a week operation, including holidays. This is a full-time, 12-month position and requires the ability to work 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift and weekends. Dispatchers must be able to work additional hours on short notice as necessary.
This position requires a high school diploma or GED; effective verbal communication skills; strong interpersonal skills working with a diverse population; ability to multi-task; sound judgment in handling emergency calls; and some computer skills. Must be able to work independently and maintain confidentiality of records and information.
This position has a beginning pay rate of $10.20 per hour and is eligible for full benefits, retirement and tuition remission.
Wittenberg is committed to attracting and retaining highly qualified individuals who collectively reflect the diversity of our student body and society at-large. We believe it is educationally imperative to further our students' appreciation and understanding of a culturally diverse society, and we are committed to ensuring a diverse environment for all individuals, regardless of race, gender, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability, or disability. In that spirit, we are especially interested in receiving applications from individuals who would contribute to the diversity of our community.
We ask candidates to set up an account and make application through our on-line recruitment system. To apply please upload the following documents in MS Word or Adobe format via the on-line system:
- A cover letter
- Name, address and phone number for three professional references
Review of applications will begin immediately and will be accepted until the position is filled.
If you are a person with a disability and require assistance with the employment process, please contact Wittenberg's Human Resources Department at 937-327-7517.