Founded in 1845, Wittenberg is a nationally ranked, private, liberal arts college related to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and has an enrollment of about 2,000 students. Wittenberg enjoys a national reputation for excellent academic standards and is widely known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Wittenberg has an exceptional staff and award-winning faculty who share a commitment to undergraduate teaching, research, and development of students into successful global citizens. Situated on 100 acres of rolling hills in Springfield Ohio, Wittenberg is easily accessible from Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati.
Wittenberg University is recruiting for a Vice President for Finance and Administration (VPFA). Reporting to the President, the Vice President provides executive leadership for all financial and business-related matters. Overseeing the University’s endowment of about $97 million and an annual operating budget of $57.1 million (2014-2015), the Vice President is responsible for financial planning, budgeting, accounting, investments, debt management, insurance, real estate management, risk management, contract management, and providing senior staff support to the Committee on Finance & Investments, the Committee on Audit & Compliance, the Real Estate Subcommittee, the Endowment Management Subcommittee, and the Information Technology Subcommittee of the Board of Directors. The scope of the overall supervisory responsibilities includes the business office, human resources, physical plant, police/security and the scheduling/event planning office.
The Vice President will have the opportunity to contribute to the future successes of Wittenberg in the following ways:
Strategic Financial Management
- Providing financial leadership in the process of identifying and implementing enrollment management strategies and academic programs that are responsive to the needs of this generation of students;
- Addressing issues of cost reduction, internal reallocation of resources, and revenue generation, including weighing aspirations against resources and linking financial data with academic offerings, identifying new and existing resources for program and infrastructure investment, maintaining strong internal controls, and ensuring balanced operating budgets;
- Providing the financial data and analysis to inform decision making across campus and monitoring progress toward strategic University goals;
- Proactively, and upon request, advising the President, other University administrators, and faculty on matters concerning financial policies and procedures, budgeting, competitive benchmarking, efficiency analysis, and overall operations;
- Understanding of the structures and techniques of debt management;
- Providing strong financial planning and management skills with a record of effectively and accurately managing the accounting responsibilities of an institution;
- Understanding of investment strategies and an ability to assist the President and the Board with their responsibilities in continually building the endowment;
- Ability to think strategically and to analyze the financial impact of existing and potential programs as the University plans for the future.
To provide the leadership required in this position, the Vice President should possess a combination of personal qualities and professional experience. She/he should possess a high level of energy, deep integrity, a sense of humor and an outstanding work ethic. In addition the Vice President should possess the following leadership attributes:
- A demonstrated success in building respectful and collaborative working relationships with a broad range of constituencies (e.g., President, Board of Directors, Vice Presidents, alumni, faculty, staff, students, etc.).
- Strong communication skills that include listening, writing, and speaking with clarity.
- Working collaboratively to secure important input from all constituent groups and use the process to further educate the community to gain a deeper understanding of budget and University policies.
- An understanding of servant leadership and an ability to demonstrate its principles in interactions on campus and in the community.
- An ability to communicate effectively and to work with banks, insurers, rating agencies, and underwriters.
- Communicating effectively with the President, Board of Directors, students, faculty members, parents, the general public, and others who contact the division of finance.
A bachelor's degree or knowledge of specialized principles or techniques equivalent to that which would normally be obtained through a formal four-year academic program or in-depth specialized training program directly related to the type of work being performed is required. Additionally, we require 5 to 8 years of experience in a related field. Preference will be given to candidates with a master’s degree and/or a CPA and experience in higher education; however, candidates from other areas of financial management will be considered. The new Vice President will have a record of progressive and effective management experience as well as knowledge of endowment management, debt management, financial accounting, planning, budgeting, real estate management, risk management, and contract management.
Review of application will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Wittenberg is committed to attracting and retaining highly qualified individuals who collectively reflect the diversity of our student body and society at-large. We believe it is educationally imperative to further our students' appreciation and understanding of a culturally diverse society, and we are committed to ensuring a diverse environment for all individuals, regardless of race, gender, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability, or disability. In that spirit, we are especially interested in receiving applications from individuals who would contribute to the diversity of our community.
We ask candidates to set-up an account and make application through our online system. To apply, please upload the following documents in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat format.
2. Cover letter
3. Name, address, and phone number of three professional references.
If you are a person with a disability and require assistance with the application process, please contact Wittenberg's Human Resources Department at 937.327.7517.